October 12, 2010

I Heart Stop Motion





I have always wanted to make my own stop motion video. I've been doing some research and have found that it takes a lot of time. I made a couple of really quick, amateur ones today. I am becoming obsessed. I really want to make a good one that actually IS stop motion, where I use a tripod and have characters or objects of some sort that move around and tell a story. 

My dilemma?

What the heck am I going to use and what should the story be? I think for my first real one, I'll stick to a silent film with music. But I would eventually love to make one where I can add voices and sound effects...{I may be dreaming on that one}. 

Until then here's a look at my very raw, amateur, wanna be stop motion:


I took the photos a while back and made the video today. I wish I had taken more so it would be longer {that's what she said ;) }



This one of my dog, Kodi, didn't work so well because he was moving too fast and my camera couldn't process the images fast enough to let me keep shooting constantly.



For this one, I actually did it like a real stop motion and did small movements for each picture. You'll notice that when it starts, Kodi is way far away on the grass, and then he suddenly appears on the patio. It was really hard to keep my balance as I tried to do the part where I step over him. I had to hold my foot in the air and move a little at a time for each shot. This one is made from about 85 photos...and it's only 6 seconds long! I would have taken more, but I ran out of room on my CF card and my battery died too.

I would love any suggestions and/or ideas you guys might have for my future stop motion endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment