June 7, 2010

Music Monday: Camera Obscura

Relationships. Relationships are fun aren't they? {That's what I like to call sarcasm} Now here's something that is fun:  Hindsight. I get to look back on all the wonderful mistakes I've have made throughout a relationship and ask myself: "Why was I so stupid?" Oh, that's right, love makes people act a fool. Who cares if your friends hate your boyfriend, you love him, right?  So he has like a gazillion cute female friends whom he admits he flirts with and thinks it's okay, I'm the one he really loves, right?  So what if I act like a helpless girl who can't do anything for herself while I'm around him? That's what boyfriends are for right?

WRONG!

If you have a sneaking suspicion that your partner doesn't actually know the "real" you, you're probably right. It's not that you try to fool them into thinking you're someone else...it's just that you actually are someone else when you are with them. Sometimes while in a relationship, one shuts their eyes to the world around them and sees things they way one wants to, not they way things really are. It's only after the relationship ends and we fall out of love that we see the light... Of course my friends hated him, he was a complete jerk to them. A little flirting is fine. Key word LITTLE. This does NOT include letting said cute female friends sleep in your bed so you guys can stay warm. {wtf?} Of course I act like a damsel in distress around him, that is how he treated me.

Hindsight has helped me to realize these things. And, the best part of all, learn from them. So while looking back on that past relationship I would like to think it was a complete waste of time, but I have to remind myself, it wasn't. It was a lesson of life. Without it, I would just make the same dumb mistakes in future relationships.  And as for the whole turning in to someone I wasn't thing? That has already started to change as I get to know myself a little better. I am realizing that who I already am {and who I am becoming} is pretty amazing. There's no reason to unconsciously morph into a lesser version of myself.  And finding someone to compliment me would be great, but if not, I have to know that I am awesome all by myself.

So here's to you, past relationship! I may not have been able to see past my own nose while I was in you, and as a result, ended up heartbroken {for a short while}. But because of you, a smarter, happier, more self confident, lovely woman has emerged.

Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken by Camera Obscura 

I have one word for this song: Perfection.



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Marianne!!! What a great piece of writing which really shows a lot of insight, understanding and growth. You are correct, that even those these relashionships may not always work out well, and are extremely difficult at times, we do learn from them hopefully and are able to move forwrd into a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! Mom never writes comments on my blog. I don't think she even reads it. But I think Tracy wrote that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive...it takes people a long time to figure that out!! Now that your armed with that information...go out and prosper!

    <3 Lisa

    ReplyDelete